Tuesday 11 March 2014

Keeping your whites, 'brilliant white'



Recently bought a camcorder as 'videograbbing' after digiscoping has always been something I've wanted in my arsenal whilst out birding.
My recent attempts at digiscoping with my phone have been a tad pathetic, so I've got this new set up to help me get those all important record shots. I will do a review of the set up when I've got used to it!

I started off this morning in Bangor doing my regular loop, going along the pier road, past the harbour front, round to Porth Penrhyn and along the cycle path in the Cegin Valley and then finally back up over the top at Minffordd. I didn't manage much of note, but a colour-ringed Little Egret from Porth Penrhyn was a nice subject to test the new kit.

Being such a beautiful day, I thought I'd take advantage and invited Conor to Pensarn to look for the Surf Scoter and before too long, we were overlooking the decent scoter flock. Weirdly, we didn't see any in the 3 hours we were there which we were quite surprised by. We did get nice views of a stunning Mediterranean Gull in full summer plumage though. This was also colour-ringed and is a German bird AHYY. It was seen at Pensarn beach by Marc Hughes back in Dec 12. Nice to see it liked the N. Wales coast!

No comments: