Tuesday 4 March 2014

Birding Bangor - 4th March

Went out wader ringing last night for the first time this year with Steve et al., however we only caught 4 birds with 7 nets! The first time I've ever been out on a night catch and caught less than 40 birds! Anyway, was nice to see Curlew and Oystercatcher in the hand again.

Getting back at 1am, I wasn't really anticipating doing any birding today, but waking up naturally at half 7, I gave it a go and went out towards Treborth where highlights were Greylag and Canada Goose across the Menai, a trickling of Meadow Pipits overhead, plus Stock Dove and Coot on the infamous coot pond.
Arriving back at my flat for 11 to sign for a package, I had a pit stop and went back out to do the harbour section with Conrad John. Here I had a couple of highlights in the form of Great Northern Diver and the lingering Red-throated Diver plus incredible views of several summer plumage Black Guillemot.
Following this, we went round the footpath along the Afon Cegin and back round over Bangor Mountain. It's a decent walk that (including the walk to Treborth) goes through 18 1km squares meaning an awful lot of birdtracking!
Managed to accumulate 386 records of 59 species today...impressive!
As you'll see below, I'm half way through my notebook already and only started it on Jan 2nd!

No comments: