Monday 27 August 2012

Kvismare fågelstation, Sweden - Day 46

My 1001st bird at Kvismaren!

''1001!?!'' I hear you say! Well I knew today, I would ring my 1000th bird at Kvismaren, so when I reached that number, I took a photo of the said bird. It happened to be a juvenile female Chaffinch which was really smart.
It wasn't until we got home that we realised that there has been a Great Reed Warbler record entered into the ringing database under the name of Craig, and not me. As a result, this is my 1001st, and my 1000th was, would you believe it, a Blue Tit!

This morning we woke up to a very strong, bitter North Westerly wind. The only ringing we could do was at Öby Kulle. This is a fantastic spot because it acts as an ampitheatre, so wind is blocked from about 270 degrees. It is also a small hill with dense vegetation, so is a fantastic spot to drop migrants in in conditions such as this morning.
We managed to catch several Tree Pipit, Chaffinch, Robin and Blue Tit as well as a Goldcrest, Lesser Whitethroat and a Great Tit.

The main aim for the morning was to try and catch Robins because a man called Hectar is here from Spain to do some measurements on Robins and compare them to Spanish birds. We will try our best to catch several throughout his stay. Hopefully Ässön will be ringable tomorrow as we should catch in the region of 20.

No comments: