Monday 26 March 2012

Brockholes Wetland NR LWT - 26th March 2012

 My first visit back to Brockholes NR LWT this morning and it did not disappoint! Upon arrival at 07.30, I locked eyes onto a large bird of prey flying over the motorway towards the new quarry workings on the west side of the motorway. The flight style of the bird instantly got my heart racing and as I put my scope on the bird, it was evident that I was watching my first Brockholes Marsh Harrier! What a cracking bird!
 Small Tortoiseshell
 Knot
Lots of migrants were about today with 6 Little Ringed Plover, 15 Sand Martin, 25+ Chiffchaff, passage Meadow Pipits and Redpolls.
In addition, a Knot and 2 Dunlin on No1 pit were very nice and the former is a species I always try and see at Brockholes when they turn up. The Dunlin were new in, which was a bonus as again, these are one of my favourite birds to turn up at Brockholes.
 Peacock
Butterflies seemed to be out enjoying the sun, with Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells all waking up after their long winter sleep.
 Mink - This Mink was seen near to the weir on the Ribble at the east of the site and was on show for 2 minutes allowing decent scope views, but too far for a decent record shot.
Little Ringed Plover

No comments: