Saturday 17 September 2011

Bangor bound! - 17th September 2011

Photo: Alex Jones
2011's Hurricane season has done wonders for British birding with some stunners such as Black and White Warbler and Northern Waterthrush on Scilly Isles today, plus a huge influx of American waders on the west coast of Ireland and a trickle elsewhere. It was a matter of time before one of these birds made it across the Irish sea and became twitchable for a young student like myself!
I am now back in Bangor so I was delighted to hear that a Buff-breasted Sandpiper had turned up at RSPB Conwy and was still present when I would be passing the Llandudno Jn turn off on the A55. Arriving on site, I met up with Chris Bridge (and family) and Alex Jones who were watching the stunning juvenile Buff-breast.

Although photographs of these stunning waders are almost jaw dropping, you really do have to see one in the flesh to really appreciate just how lovely they are. Such a lovely warm gingery tone and a very placid looking face make this bird potentially one of the most visually enjoyable birds I have ever twitched...stunning!

No comments: