Tuesday 26 July 2011

Black Redstarts return to Preston! - 26th July 2011



In August 2010, I confirmed breeding of Black Redstart in Preston Town Centre for the first time since the 1950's! (see blog post)
I only managed to confirm breeding after the birds had fledged so the adults soon became elusive which was a shame. I hoped they would return in 2011 so I could observe these enchanting birds before they settled into breeding.
Nick and I visited the town centre once a week for several weeks in June to try and catch the sound of a singing male, but the closest we came was a very brief flight view of a redstart sp.

On Sunday 24th July, Phil Buck spotted a male on Bairstow Street calling frequently. Nick and I therefore decided we would have a real go today and we managed to locate both male and female. Both of which were carrying food and the male was heard singing several times also. Superb!


Let's hope they are successful breeders for a second year!

2 comments:

The Hairy Birder said...

Zac, As these birds are a schedule 1 species I would guard against giving the location out to people even privately. As you are aware it is an offense to disturb any birds on the schedule 1 list. Giving the location out to birders even 'privately' will attract a lot of attention and could easily cause disturbance. I would also be careful about offering to give the location out of a schedule 1 species on your blog as you don't know who is looking at your blog and it could get you in serious bother! Remember, if you or anyone else is deemed as causing disturbance to these birds you are breaking the law! Cheers, Seumus

Zac Hinchcliffe said...

Hi Seumus.

I have removed the contact information.
Nice to see them back a year later

Zac