Thursday 16 June 2011

A glimpse into the future! - 15th June 2011

Kane, Chris and I were planning on having a follow up trip to Killington to finish off the Black-headed Gulls. The new darvics had not yet arrived from Poland, so we thought we would wait until next week. I noticed that an impressive post-brood flock of 38 House Sparrow had been visiting my garden for a couple of days. As a result I suggested to Kane that would could try and catch a few to pass the time. It wasn't long before a 40ft mist-net was errected for the first time at No.6!
There have only ever been 5 or 6 Bullfinch in my garden, so I was amazed when a stunning adult male appeared in the net after an hour of starting! We also managed to catch 5 House Sparrow, 2 Goldfinch, 2 Coal Tit, 2 Dunnock and a Blackbird.



Not a huge catch, but a really enjoyable session and one that I really can't wait to repeat in a couple of years if/when I get my C permit. Thanks to Kane for supplying the net, knowledge and rings.

No comments: