Friday 8 April 2011

Twitching in the Sun - Dwyran, Anglesey - 8th April 2011

On the day that the Purple Heron was relocated, Chris and I decided that the views we had were really good, but the light really wasn't sufficient to get any decent photos of the bird. We decided that we would go back when the weather improved and if the bird stayed for longer. Today was the day as the weather was glorious with no wind. Purple Heron, Dwyran, Anglesey We arrived on the hill at c3.30 and the bird was instantly present right in the open in the middle of the tiny pool. The heat caused a little heat haze, but I am really pleased with the image above, considering that this is a Purple Heron in Britain...most photos you see of this species are of the bird flying to roost at dusk or the head peering out of the reeds. After about 45 minutes of showing off to the small crowd, the bird flew off to the far right of the 'marsh' almost out of view. We decided that we would induldge in a spot of raptor scanning as the visibility was superb and there were Buzzard and Sparrawhawk all around. At 16.40 I spotted a very very distant raptor circling which initially I thought was a kite due to the long tail and flappy flight. The bird suddenly started flying north-east and it was soon apparent that I was looking at an Osprey. This is incredibly my 4th Osprey of the Spring and my first away from my bedroom window in Bangor! I am returning home to Brockholes Quarry on Sunday for Easter, so should hopefully increase this number and finally get a photo of this enchanting summer migrant! A superb afternoon watching a superb bird at a very unusual location. Lets hope the weather continues into the weekend as I shall be ringing again with Steve.

No comments: