Thursday 31 March 2011

Soldier's Point, Anglesey - 31st March 2011

I am not having the best of luck in 2011 when it comes to twitching birds. I have failed to see the Bonaparte's Gull twice and today I failed to relocate the Firecrest in Holyhead found this morning by Ken Croft. The strong winds currently barrakading its way through North Wales has clearly done something in terms of migration. Onsite I picked up 4 singing Blackcap, 10+ singing Chiffchaff and best of best of all were my first 3 Willow Warblers of the year. There were plenty of Goldfinch singing onsite and Ken Croft showed me a very confiding Water Rail which is the last remaining bird of the 4 that wintered.
Not seeing the target bird and the strong winds combined surprisingly didn't ruin the day, so I was able to spend an enjoyable lunchtime at an obvious migrant magnet.


I wonder what exciting bird will draw me back there in the spring?

No comments: