Tuesday 7 September 2010

Black Terns - Alston Res, Longridge - 7th September 2010


Texts from Gavin Thomas and Gareth Morgan awaited me as I awoke late morning (damn teenagers :P)
10 Black Terns at Alston res were feeding actively at 08.20 at least. I was disappointed as I really wanted Black Tern before the year was out. I know from past lancashire birds, they don't hang around for lazy teenagers to arise from their bed mid-morning. I texted Gavin anyway and he said that they were present after 9.00, meaning they were lingering. I therefore went for them anyway and at 11.00, they appeared on the far side of No.1 and eventually came closer to where I was standing.
The night before held a site first on Alston Wetland in the form of a juvenile Wood Sandpiper in amongst the ducks (found by Gavin Thomas). An overdue site record.

No comments: