Wednesday 29 August 2007

Great White Egret & Spoonbill - Leighton Moss, Carnforth - 29th August 2007


Great White Egret (and two Great Black Backed Gull)

The Resident 3 Spoonbill

Obliging Dunnock

2 Little Egret and Grey Heron


I managed to get to Leighton Moss today for a mid-morning 'Twitch'. The Main aim was the Great White Egret that has been present since c08.34 on Monday. Although a Personal target was to get the bogey birds that are the 3 Spoonbill that have eluded me every visit since My first visit of the year in about March.

Upon Arrival at Eric Morcambe Hide, there were several Birders already present with Telescopes all facing the same way, this drew my attention to a mute swan, with another white bird next to it. It was the Great White Egret. Scope View were more than acceptable, but with the busy hide and sun being nearly behind the bird, the photo's were not that amazing but along with the views, acceptable. I was just pleased to see the bird. Next I scanned with binoculars after about 5 minutes watching the bird, There they were, all 3 Spoonbill roosting together with a fantastic adult Spotted redshank running about next to them! I wonder if now on, as with other bogey birds, i will see plenty of Spoonbill? Along with a large group of Black tailed Godwit and Redshank, plus the lancashire record flock of 27 Little Egret (although only 22 were present) the Eric Morcambe complex was thoroughly enjoyable. After another 10 or so minute watch of the Egret and Flight Photo's of the Spoonbill, We moved onto the visitor centre after this and had dinner, then spend time in the car park watching a silver birch tree with a wonderful variety feeding in it - 4 Nuthatch, 4 Willow Warbler, 2 Marsh tit, and 5 Goldcrest.

A truly thrilling 3 hours spent at the reserve, with the only downer being that I did not see the pair of Curlew Sandpiper that have been present this week. If I had seen them, I would taken my Year List up to 200! I am on 199 now after today, but I hope to tick Tawny Owl in My local woods tonight!

1 comment:

Nick Patel said...

I Like the pic with the Great black backed gulls, as it shows just how huge they are compared to other birds! (e.g. Great white egrets)